By Rohi Mhere
THE word “strategy” is often used in different approaches be it in economics, politics amongst others. All these are different approaches to the word Strategy, but let us talk about an approach that integrates this word and also aims at exciting most entrepreneurs which is “Branding”, so what is Brand Strategy?
When we talk about Brand Strategy we are talking of ways in which we can define or communicate who we are as a Brand to our consumer, what we represent, what we do, what our values are and what our purpose is. The number one purpose of a Brand Strategy is to communicate these foundational elements to the consumer so that they are able to grasp the Brand’s Message in an understandable way.
To better understand the concept let’s pull in an example. Try seeing “Brand Strategy” as a Game plan or a Play book of how your company is going to play the corporate game and how it’s going to place the right players to better communicate those foundational elements and also overcome opponents in the market. So, who are these players? well these include the following
- The brand identity
- Website etc.
These players are the stars of the brand. They are what consumers want to see, they are tasked to get the team to win the market. Each player in the team is placed strategically by the coach (Brand Strategist)
Such that each player is able to generate sales, leads, popularity, customer loyalty, brand equity etc. The coach then makes sure that the players are able to complete the work that they have been assigned to do.
For an effective Brand Strategy there is need of a strong framework that works as a foundation in supporting the Strategy, but then how do we unearth this framework? Well its simple, there are certain elements that we need to consider so that our Strategy is precise and targeted to the right consumer. These elements are as follows
- You need to uncover Your Brand’s Core, this includes why the Brand exists, where it’s going, what it is committed to and how it will behave
- You need to develop a Buyer’s Persona. Know your audience and know whom you are targeting.
- You need to weigh up competitive Brands. Remember that your target market already has options, know those options and find ways to counter them
- You need to forge your differentiation Strategy. How are you going to be different, what’s there that is going to attract the consumer?
- You need to define your Strategic market position. What you do, who you do it for. The difference from existing options and the value you add to your consumers
- You need to align your Brand Archetype. Discover the personality of your target Audience and align it with your Brand, for example if you are in the food industry and your target market enjoys things that taste good, your Archetype might be “Great taste”. Remember that everything about Branding is all Psychological.
- You need to find your Brand voice and Tone. You know one of the most effective tools of expression for any brand is the tone of voice in which its message is delivered.
- You need to craft your Brand Storytelling Framework. Humans are captivated by story and we are far more attentive to information when it is delivered to us through a story.
With this said one should be able to understand what Brand Strategy is and it should be fairly easy for you to craft a precise direction for your Brand and knowing who to target and how. I always say that a good brand is well communicated and that good communication needs strategy.
In conclusion do not confuse good Graphics and Brand Strategy because good graphics with a bad message will always result in a disaster, its like serving food with no salt in it, it looks good but its tasteless.
Rohi Mhere is a Pan-African Brand Designer, Consultant and Strategists with a demonstrated history in the industry, he is also the founder of Drop Studios a Brand Design and Consultant Agency based in Marondera. He can be reached on firstname.lastname@example.org or on his WhatsApp number: 071 682 0699